I've played all of four (4) 600 point LW games now and I'm an expert! :)
Here are some things I've done, but my opponents not so much, that have worked for me. Some of these are somewhat redundant with each other...
- Ignore the "toys", bring low-level Combat/Weapons platoons for the most part.
- Bring as many "combat platoon" types of units as you can. If you are an infantry company bring a couple infantry platoons. It's OK, at this point level, to bring a "sub-standard" option. I did this with the Gebirgsjager platoon to save points. I ended up with two 7 stand units instead of two small FJ platoons. Same can be said for the tanks. Bring some lighter tanks or tank hunters, etc.
- Mortars are the "King of Battle" on this level. Even the short ranged FJ stummelwerfer is worth it on this level. When we go to full size boards I may have to go with a regular mortar battery, but these HQ guys are great right now.
- Bring something that can kill at range (AT and Anti-infantry). Mortars and then AT guns. They are cheaper than tanks/SP guns. Unless of course you are a tank company. :) This also gives you something to do while you move in with your "kill team". Never let the enemy have a turn where they don't have to react to something you are doing. If you do, then it gives them time to think about their turn and what they are going to do to you! :)
- Bring as many units as you can fit. The more dice you roll for fire, the more chances you have to kill something. This also dilutes the enemy's fire because they have more units to deal with. Again making him think more about the mechanics instead of his plans...
- Don't be afraid to sit and wait. Either for reinforcements or for your long range stuff to start working their magic.
I haven't taken on a purely tank force yet, so that will get interesting, but I think I can hold my own. Tomorrow we start the 800 point round...
Comments? Was this all just common sense? :)